Tuesday 17 December 2013

Sydney Opera House and the Harbour - a perfect day in Sydney



I'm in love! She is big, muscular, beautiful and doesn't talk much...Well, she doesn't actually talk at all. She also doesn't move. Yes, I'm in love with a building. 




When I first saw the Sydney Opera House I was mesmerised. The sun was setting and it reflected its colours on the white sails of the building.

I spent the next whole day walking around it and photographing it from every angle. I couldn't stop staring at it. In fact, the whole harbour is absolutely stunning and there's nothing just like it in this world.

The Opera House in the evening 


The exit from the Circular Quay station is busy and crowded. Sounds of the didgeridoo played by many of the street performers here can be heard everywhere. If you want to see and hear how it is played you need to visit Sydney Harbour.

One of the buskers playing around the Circular Quay station 

There are many fancy bars and restaurants around. I travel on a budget so it was hard for me to find something affordable to eat there. I could only buy myself a small drink at the end for the day for only $10.

The Harbour and the City


The area is full of tourists and locals. The terrace of the Opera House is not only a great lookout, but also is one of the favourite places for the keen local joggers and walkers.

Harbour Bridge 



I started my day from walking around The Rocks, which is located near the Harbour. The historical buildings were the first ones built in Sydney. Nowadays, the area is full of shops and restaurants, which are booming with life.

My walk took me just under the Harbour Bridge and to one of the small green squares at the bottom of it, where I could not only admire the Opera building, but also watch a pretty interesting photo session.


Harbour Bridge 

Wedding photo shoot - who wouldn't like a photo like this for their wedding?

From there I made my way to the Botanic Gardens, which stretch over 30 hectares of land and go around the Harbour and Opera, making it a great lookout point.

The Gardens have more than 1 million specimens and include some really funky glasshouses (they were all closed during my visit).

Pyramid glasshouse in the Royal Botanic Gardens 

One of the fountains in the Royal Botanic Gardens 

View from the Royal Botanic Gardens 


To see the whole of the area you need one day. If you don't have enough time, make your way from the entrance gates to the Mrs Macquaries Point. This is one of the most beautiful spots, where you have a great view on the Opera and the Harbour Bridge.

View from the Mrs Macquaries Point 

At the end of the day it is nice to sit on one of the benches and watch the colours of the bay changing and the light reflecting in the buildings of the city centre during the sunset.

City buildings in the evening 

City buildings in the evening



2 comments:

  1. You nailed some awesome, beautiful photos here, Jo! I've read so many amazing experiences about the Harbour Bridge and the Opera House and took a tour of the latter so can read a post from you on that! The wedding picture on the Harbour rocks (esp. in b & w) but I sure wouldn't want to have my wedding day in that kind of wind! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much, Mike. I do enjoy taking photos and Australia really is a great place to practise my skills.

    ReplyDelete